Florida Pediatric Dermatologist
At Pediatric Dermatology of Miami, Dr. Mercedes E. Gonzalez and her professional support staff provide exceptional care for you and your family. From the time you make your appointment until you walk out the door, you will receive attentive service and individualized care from all of our healthcare professionals and staff.
Dr. Mercedes E. Gonzalez
Dr. Mercedes Elena Gonzalez is a Miami native who returned to her hometown after a 12-year educational hiatus. Her quest for higher learning took her through the South and up the East Coast. Her first stop was at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, where she received her undergraduate degree. With majors in neuroscience and Spanish, Dr. Gonzalez graduated summa cum laude in 1999. She then moved to Newark, NJ, where she got her first white coat and medical degree at Rutgers – New Jersey Medical School in 2004.
Always drawn to working with children, Dr. Gonzalez chose to do a pediatrics residency and was accepted into the prestigious pediatrics program at the Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital of New York – Columbia University, where she solidified her interest in treating skin disorders in children. She then completed a dermatology residency at the top-ranked New York University School of Medicine, where she stayed on to complete a clinical fellowship in pediatric dermatology in 2012.
After her long quest for outstanding training, Dr. Gonzalez is now happy to be home and excited to settle in Miami and provide excellent pediatric dermatology care to her home Miami community. She began practicing pediatric dermatology in Miami in 2013 and opened her own practice in 2014.
In addition to taking care of kids with skin, hair, and nail problems, Dr. Gonzalez is actively involved in educating and training the next generation of pediatric dermatologists. She currently serves as a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine and at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, where she serves as faculty advisor for the dermatology interest group.
Dr. Gonzalez has published over 30 journal articles, contributed to multiple dermatology textbooks, and spoken at numerous dermatology conferences. She is also the co-editor of the upcoming 4th edition of Goodheart’s Photoguide to Common Skin Disorders, a picture-based dermatology textbook. In addition, she is regularly featured on the dermatology show on Sirius XM’s Doctor Radio channel and on FIU’s "A Tu Salud" radio program on Radio Mambi (AM 710, Miami, FL).
Dr. Gonzalez loves pediatric dermatology and enjoys explaining the skin and skin disease to her attentive patients and their worried parents. If you meet her in the exam room, you may find her drawing on the paper table sheet or using her intertwined hands to describe how skin cells are like the bricks of a wall.
When not thinking about dermatology, Dr. Gonzalez can be found enjoying Miami with the company of her beautiful family – son Rogerio R., daughter Margarita, and husband Rogerio P.
- American Board of Pediatrics (2007)
- American Board of Dermatology (2011)
- Subspecialty Certification in Pediatric Dermatology by the American Board of Dermatology (2014)
Education & Training
- Fellowship: Pediatric Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY (2011-2012)
- Residency: Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY (2008-2011)
- Clinical Research Fellowship: Pediatric Dermatology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL (2007-2008)
- Residency: Pediatrics, Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital of New York Presbyterian – Columbia University, New York, NY (2004-2007)
- Medical Degree (MD): New Jersey Medical School (NJMS), Newark, NJ (2004)
- Undergraduate Degree (BS): Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Emory University, Atlanta, GA (1999)
Honors & Awards
- 2011: Participant, Society of Investigative Dermatology Resident Retreat for Future Academicians
- 2010: Women’s Dermatologic Society Mentorship Award
- 2010: Physician Scientist’s Training Program, NYU School of Medicine
- 2004: Outstanding Compassionate Care Award, New Jersey Medical School
Community & Professional Activities
- Served as volunteer counselor and volunteer medical director of Camp Discovery, a weeklong summer camp for children with chronic, severe skin diseases, sponsored by the American Academy of Dermatology
- Faculty at the Annual Masters of Pediatric Dermatology Symposium in Miami Beach, FL
- Faculty at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Faculty Advisor, Dermatology Interest Group, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- The Dermatology Show, Doctor Radio, Sirius XM
- A Tu Salud, Radio Mambi, AM 710 Miami, FL